October 21, 2009

Choices with Assaulting and Avenging

The magnets are back, this time using the teeny tiny 1/16" by 1/32" discs. These ridiculously small magnets are well built for giving the smaller plastic miniatures the options you'd like to give them rather than having to buy multiple models or taking apart and re-gluing them.

My prime example: Eldar Dire Avenger Exarch. This dude gets 4 sets of options for weapons, and while I never saw the point in not bringing a Shimmer Shield (*jazz hands*), my bits box is getting pretty bloated these days and I'm doing all I can to fight the constant stream of plastic nick-nacks flowing into it. So, here's what the Exarch has for toys other than the Avenger Shuriken Catapult - 2x Avenger Shuriken Catapult, Diresword/Shuriken Pistol or Power Weapon/Shimmershield:


Now, find a 1/16th drill bit and you're golden for this whole thing. However, I have the memory of an 80 year old war veteran with 17 years of hockey in him and I left my drill bits at home. So, I ended up using a ball engraver shank for the initial cavity:


And an xacto knife to get the "xact" fit for the magnets:


After all is said and done, I have all the options available to the Exarch:


I also used this for my SM Assault Squad with my choice between a flamer or a plasma pistol:


And they still look super snazzy:

2 comments:

  1. Rare earth magnets are awesome. Came across them a few years back when I was doing Tau and have splurged all over the place with them since. They're particularly nice for Eldar tanks too.

    Only downside is that they don't work as well on heavier (metal) bitz, such as Chaos Raptors. There can also be issues with rotation, but that only matters if you're OCD...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually converted a Fire Prism/Falcon recently with some of the more heavy duty REMs. I'll post about it next week when I can get pics up to show how I did it.

    ReplyDelete